The Manu Association’s team is devoted to saving endangered bird species and has obtained encouraging results
Among the 29 terrestrial bird species of Polynesia, 19 are threatened with extinction.
Among the 29 terrestrial bird species of Polynesia, 19 are threatened with extinction. Some count less then 15 remaining couples : this is the case with the Monarque de Tahiti and the Monarque de Fatu Hiva. We cannot let them become extinct, like the 35 (at least) endemic species that have become extinct since the arrival of humans.
Life-saving skills :
- Do not abandon any cat on a isolated motu : it would be a slaughter for seabirds and maybe for rare endemic birds in Rimatara and Ua Huka
- Check that you do not have any rat onboard before approaching theses islands. If necessary or in case of a doubt, treat the boat against rodents before going there.
- Don’t throw rats overboard if you have detected their presence on the boat as you approach the island : rats are able to swim two-days long !
- Do not get rid of your garbage on the wharfs of these two islands, in case there were rats hidden in the bags
- Should you carry voluminous items to theses islands, be sure to check them. If there is a doubt about the presence of a rat, refuse to take them on your board or keep them in a locked room where you will have placed some rat-poison
- Should you dock at the wharf in Ua Huka, use a rats-guard on your lines